Community & Wellbeing Officer

Represents students on issues affecting their wellbeing; such as health, finance, accommodation and security, as well as wider community issues. The Community and Wellbeing Officer is key to ensuring that students from a range of backgrounds and minority groups are represented within the University. They also ensure that students are represented fairly within the local community, liaising with both town and parish council officials.

The Candidates

Photo of Izzy Mae

Izzy Mae

(they/them)
3rd Year | Criminology
Feeling Grey? Vote for Izzy Mae!
  • 1Prioritise Mental Health and Well-Being.
  • Destigmatising Sexual Health conversations
  • Make physical health and sporting communities accessible to all.
Photo of Hannah Nimmo

Hannah Nimmo

(she/her)
Current Sabb | Psychology
Vote for Hannah, can she fix it? Vote for Hannah, yes Han can!
  • Continue to work to ensure that ALL students feel represented by the Union.
  • Push for better affordability of housing, and a more streamlined application process for accommodation.
  • Lobby to introduce more signage for wheelchair-friendly, cycle-friendly and accessible walking paths around campus.

What made you decide to run?

Izzy Mae: I decided to run because well-being has been such an integral part of my university experience, specifically the downfalls. I want to work on ensuring that all university students can live their lives to the fullest, not held back by well-being concerns of any description.
Hannah Nimmo: I have achieved some big wins already in a year in the role, but my work is not over yet. I think a second year in the role would allow me to make bigger commitments and make some more substantial, long-term changes in York.

Why do you think you're the best person for the job?

Izzy Mae: I think I'm the best person for the job because I am driven and determined to get results. I won't allow students to suffer any longer.
Hannah Nimmo: I have a clear idea of the issues students are currently facing and have some innovative solutions to them. I am passionate about making positive changes to improve the student experience, and I am confident that my work in the role has already proven my suitability for the role.

Cost of Living continues to impact students, especially with rent prices and bills going up across the city. How are you going to better support off-campus students to afford rent, food and heating?

Izzy Mae: Working alongside relevant groups to ensure off-campus students are supported in every way possible to live their lives without being bogged down by the cost-of-living crisis. This will include working with First Bus to keep student travel prices low and working with registered landlords to lower rent for students across the city, as well as keeping up with cost of living developments as they come.
Hannah Nimmo: The University needs to expand the Household Energy Grant criteria so all students who need it can access it. Similarly, YUSU could look to open a community pantry, which other SUs have already done, to allow students access to free ingredients to cook with. Most importantly, a collaborative approach is needed between the two Universities in York to help to stabilise the housing market so that students aren’t priced out of the city.

What else should YUSU bars sell for 40p?

Izzy Mae: More substantial meals throughout the day - soup, sandwiches, jacket potatoes. Beans on toast was a great start, but making these meals accessible throughout the day (past 11 am) and throughout the week (weekends included) will just take the impact that bit further, and encourage people to use the scheme more!
Hannah Nimmo: The serious answer to this question is a bigger variety of options - other things on toast besides beans, a cold lunch alternative such as sandwiches, as well as a later afternoon/evening food option to suit all the mealtimes of the day. Hot drinks for 40p in the colder months of the year especially could also be good! However, if YUSU wanted to sell pints for 40p at some point, I wouldn’t mind that…